- 1a Full Membership is £48.00 per year (inclusive of VAT)
- 1b Junior Membership (0 – 18 Years) is £12.00 per year (inclusive of VAT)
- 1c Membership runs from the 1st January each year. In order to be eligible to register sheep, enter Society Sales or exhibit in Breed Classes at Shows (see Show list). Membership subscriptions must be paid in full by 31st January.
- 1d Voting rights – Fully paid up adult members may vote at the A.G.M. One subscription allows one vote. For partnerships, the person with the voting right must be named with the society. Members must have registered sheep to enable them to vote.
- 1e Promotional Items – A range of promotional wear is available for members to purchase and can be personalised to promote their own flock. Further details from the Society Office.
- 1f Change of Address & Contact details – Members should notify the Society of any change of address or contact details.
- 1g Payment of Accounts – Payment can be made by cheque or preferably by BACS using the details below;
Sort Code: 40-32-04 Account Number: 41133349
Please use your flock prefix / invoice number as a reference for payments made.
- 1h Any accounts that are overdue will be placed on hold.
Registration and Identification of Sheep
- 2a Tagging should be used for Pedigree identification. The Pedigree number must be printed on the tag.
- 2b Any animal that loses a tag must be retagged with the same number.
- 2c The Pedigree number must consist of the Flock Code (three letters), the year number followed by the number of each individual animal.
Please note the lambing year date for identification is December 1st so any animals born during December will carry the following year’s number for identification, but the Date of Birth will be printed on their Pedigree Certificate.
Example: Lamb born on December 15th 2022 will be registered as follows: ABC/23/001
- 2d Naming of animals is optional, the letter for 2023 is “Z”
- 2e Registration of Homebred Sheep:
|Birth Notification up to 31st May
|To upgrade to full registration previously birth notified until 31st May
|To birth notify and fully register lambs before 31st May
|Birth Notification from 1st June to 30th November
|To upgrade to full registration previously birth notified between 1st June and 30th November
|To birth notify and fully register lambs between 1st June and 30th November
|Registration of animals up to 2 years of age (birth notified before 12 months of age)
All sheep must be birth notified before registration (birth notification and full registration can be done at the same time please see the registration form) and dates will be strictly adhered to.
A lamb born on 3 January 2023 birth notified before 31st May and then fully registered before 12 months of age would cost:
- On Paper: £3.00 to birth notify and then £19.00 to fully register so a total of £21.00.
- Online (via Grassroots): £3.00 to birth notify and then £15.00 to fully register so a total of £18.00.No sheep will be accepted for sale at a Society Sale unless it is fully registered beforehand by the breeder.
Sheep being shown must also be fully registered beforehand.
- 2f Registrations must be made online via Grassroots or on paper by post to the Society Office.
- 2g Registration forms must be fully completed including the E.I.D tag numbers otherwise they will be returned to the member.
- 2h Payment must accompany the application form either by cheque or via BACS (details above), registrations will not be processed without payment.
- 2i The Society has a three-week turnaround period for registrations from the date received at the Society Office. Animals must be registered in ample time before the closing dates
for Shows and Sales (please see Sales Rules) the Society carries no responsibility for entry dates missed if animals are not registered in time.
- 2j No grading up permitted.
- 2k Members taking ewes to another flock to put to a ram must submit a ram service form (available from society office) before applying to register progeny.
Transfer of sheep
- 3a Stock sold at society sales will be transferred by the Secretary free of charge.
- 3b For all other sales of sheep the vendor is responsible for the transferring of animals to the purchaser. Sheep not transferred within 1 month of sale will incur a fee of £5.00 per animal to be paid by the vendor, if the transfer is processed by the secretary.
- 3c Breeders will not be able to register lambs to sheep which have not been transferred into their flock.
Embryo Transplant & Artificial Insemination.
- 4a Embryo Transplant strictly by written permission to the Council, and written permission received from the Council before commencement.
- 4b Applications to register lambs born by embryo transfer and artificial insemination must be accompanied by the appropriate certificate containing the Sire, Dam and recipient ewe where applicable.
Importation of Animals
- 5a Sheep imported with the Society’s knowledge and of a Pedigree standard must be registered within eight weeks of importation by the importer, or before Sale by the importer, whichever is the sooner.
- 5b Pedigree certificates and details of sheep including ear numbers must be sent to the Society office within 30 days of uplift from the relevant country.
- 5c Registration fees for Imported animals:
- Fee for registration within 6 months £25.00 per animal.
- Fee for registration between 6 months and 12 months £250.00 per animal.
- All charges are subject to VAT
- 5d Exported sheep must go through the society office to enable the appropriate certificate to be issued.
- 6a Sale details can be found within the Society Yearbook or on the Society Website.
- 6b Entries will only be accepted from fully paid-up members.
- 6c Entries must be made by the closing date – no late entries will be accepted.
- 6d Entries will only be accepted by post or via Email (if via email payment must be made immediately by Bacs)
- 6e Entries must be accompanied by the fully completed entry form, pedigree certificates and payment. If full payment and certificates are not received with the entry form then the entries will be returned to the vendor and not accepted until they are received.
- 6f All sheep entered must have been registered with the Society and certificates issued.
- 6g Substitutes are allowed at Society Sales. Substitutes will be allowed at the following ratios: 1-5 entries: 2 Substitutes, 6-10 entries: 3 Substitutes, 11+ entries: 4 Substitutes.
- 6h Substitute lots will be given a coloured Neck Tie with the lot number on.
- 6i Substitutes must be like for like e.g Ram lambs for ram lambs.
- 6j Substitutes not notified to the Secretary prior to arrival at the Sale will be rejected.
- 6k All sheep entered for Sale at Society Sales will be subject to Inspection. The Inspector’s decision will be final.
- 6l The following weights will be applied at Society Sales:
- Shearling and Aged Ewes: 70 kgs
- Ewe Lambs: 45 kgs
- Shearling and Aged Rams: 90 kgs
- Ram Lambs: 60 kgs
- Any animal not reaching these weights will be rejected.
- 6m Show Classes at Sales; Vendors will be permitted to enter 2 animals per class per vendor.
- 6n Upset Prices: There will an upset price in place at Society Sales please refer to the relevant Sale Catalogue or Schedule for the Upset price or call the Society Office for more information.
- 6o Runs of sheep: The maximum run of sheep at society sales will be 6. (Vendors can enter more than this but sheep will be split up)
- 7a All sheep being shown at a Society Show or Sale must be fully registered with the Society.
- 7b Sheep to be in current ownership for at least 3 months prior to the Show.
Presentation of Sheep
- 8a All sheep for Show and Sale to be presented as the Shepherd wishes.
- 8b Society Sales, Bloom dip allowed.
- 8c Any sheep with short tails that aren’t complying with DEFRA rules will be rejected from the show/sale.
- 8d All sheep forward at Society Shows and Sales must have a pink nose with no black markings whatsoever.
- 9a The use of growth promoters are banned by the Society, and the Society reserves the right to random test any sheep presented at any show or Sale.
- 9b Handlers of sheep at Shows and Sales to be suitably dressed and presented in a clean and tidy manner wearing a White coat.
- 9c Remember when selling and showing sheep – “You are an Ambassador for the Breed”
- 9d Annual Flock Returns must be completed online via Grassroots by 17th March 2023. If you are unable to access Grassroots then the secretary should be contacted asap to resolve the issue.